With Canada headed toward a population of approximately 44 million people by 2050 (up from the present 36 million), such huge numbers will surely intensify many of our country’s most critical infrastructure problems. In thinking ahead, what can we build now that will contribute to Canada's growth for the next 30+ years? What grand challenges should we embrace?
Select ONE infrastructure idea from below, explain how it could help solve potential infrastructure issues related to the population growth, and describe what measures you would recommend our nation’s leaders take to ensure we continue to sustain and grow our infrastructure for generations to come. Submitted essays will be judged on research of the issues, explanation of the usefulness of implementing, and originality in recommended measures. Submissions must be between 800 and 1200 words.
- The future of abrasive blasting in restoring aging infrastructure
- Cutting edge waterproofing solutions to restore aging infrastructure
- Upgrading Canada’s smart road infrastructure
- Growing Canada’s electric vehicle charging infrastructure
- Implementing autonomous electric buses for sustainable mobility
- On-road solar panels for generating energy and heating roads
- Intelligent coatings to warn of infrastructure issues
Official Contest Rules and Eligibility Requirements
- One entry per person. Entries must be received by June 15, 2018 through Kelso Industrial Group’s official submission webpage. Those received after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Winners will be announced online at www.kelsoindustrial.com and on associated social media by July 31, 2018.
- To be considered, submission (in a Word document or Word compatible file) must be complete and include the entrant’s name, address, email, and telephone number, current school grade level and school attending/enrolled in for Fall 2018.
- Applicant must be a Canadian citizen or legal permanent resident.
- Applicant must be in high school Grade 12 or college Year 1, 2 or 3 enrolled in an official undergraduate program of study in Canada for the Fall 2018 semester. Applicant must be 14 years old or older.
- Applicant must be enrolled in or attending an accredited school within Canada for the Fall 2018 semester.
- No purchase or contribution is required for entry. Neither membership in nor contributions to any organization will enhance the chances of winning.
- Essay must be the original work of applicant. Essays should be between 800 and 1200 words, in 12-14 point font in a Word document or Word compatible file.
- All applicants are subject to the Kelso Industrial Group Release.
- Relatives of employees or directors of Kelso Industrial Group are not eligible.
- Not valid where prohibited.